OneTravel.com

Friday, January 19, 2007

Long Distance Concerns

While continuing the countdown, we talked daily, after eagerly awaiting the 9:00 PM Central strike of the clock. In a conversation on November 11th, Mike told me his kids were eager to meet me. They recognized that our relationship had become very serious in a short period of time. We also discussed how difficult it was going to be to be apart for the holidays. So while on the phone, we got on Travelocity and made the decision for me to visit Denver right after Christmas. We booked a flight for December 27th. Unfortunately, I had to return to Dallas on December 31st so we wouldn't get to spend New Year's Eve together. But again, I was grateful for whatever time we could steal. No sooner were the arrangements made than I began to fret over what his kids would think of me.

Having been divorced with no intentions of EVER remarrying, I hadn't given much thought to "blended families". Now, suddenly, I was worrying about how Mike's kids would feel about a woman in their father's life. So much of Mike's and my circumstances were similar but in this regard the difference was noteworthy. I had made a conscious choice to end my marriage. It was a decision my children had come to understand and appreciate over the years. They still had a father and were able to maintain a relationship with him despite not having typical visitation arrangements. Mike's children, on the other hand, had their mother ripped from their lives suddenly and unexpectedly. Mike had had a fairly serious relationship several years ago so I knew it wasn't really new territory for them. My greatest concern, and as it turned out, rightfully so, was the issue of long distance. This wasn't just a long distance relationship for me and Mike, it was a long distance relationship for our children as well.

By this time, Mike and I were pledging our undying and eternal love for each other. We were already discussing our commitment to spend the rest of our lives together for we believed truly and deeply that this was our destiny. We considered ourselves fortunate that our children were older and could appreciate our love. How naive we were. Almost immediately, Mike's children began to express their concerns that I lived in Dallas. Mike and I continued on with the belief that love would conquer all. His comment was full of conviction. "It will all work out. It's meant to be."

No comments: