OneTravel.com

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Homecoming

I've been so caught up in telling the story of me and Mike that I have neglected a very relevant sub-story. You may recall that my original invitation to Mike was partially motivated by my daughter's Homecoming football game. This year was more exciting than ever because Darcie would be going on her first real date. I knew I would be teary-eyed (remember, I'm an emotional Italian).

Friday was Ranger day at Jesuit - a day of fun and games involving both Jesuit and Ursuline (Darcie's school) students. The school day ended early so Darcie and some of her friends, including her date, congregated at our house before the big game. Mike and I had a blast talking with them. We both felt so young again. We were sitting at the fireplace holding hands when Darcie's best friend, Amanda said, "Oh, look how cute they are. They've only been together 24 hours and they're already holding hands!" I busted out laughing. Only 24 hours! I had been waiting 30 years!

An annual Texas-style barbeque is part of the Homecoming tradition at Jesuit so Mike and I headed to the high school. I had attended 6 of these alone and I have to say, it was so much more fun with Mike by my side. After dinner, we walked to the stadium and set up our seats in my usual place near the band. As other parents trickled in they were surprised to see me with someone. I was giddy as I introduced Mike, whose hand I was still holding, by the way. There was just no wiping the happiness off my face. We explained that we were old high school buddies but the looks we got back were skeptical. I think we looked like more than buddies by this time. When Mike went to the concession stand, all the mom's said how gorgeous he was and how happy I looked.

Near the end of the third quarter we decided to stretch our legs a bit so we went for a walk. We walked along the fence through the masses of students until we reached the corner of the end zone. We stood facing each other and Mike took both my hands in his. Suddenly, we were the only two people in the world. There was no football game, there was no band, there was no mass of students anywhere near. My heart felt like it was pounding out of my chest as I gazed into Mike's eyes like a moonstruck teenager. He took my face in his hands and finally, unbelievably, he kissed me. And I felt nothing, empty, what was the big deal.

Just kidding. For the first time in my life I understood the phrase, "the earth moved". I actually trembled. I could barely keep my knees from buckling beneath me. Forget self-control. I was lost!

No comments: