OneTravel.com

Saturday, January 6, 2007

The Big Day

Finally, the big day arrived. It was November 3, 2005. I spent the entire day putting finishing touches on my house. I spent an extreme amount of time prepping. I took a long shower, shaved with extra care and put lotion all over my body. I even spent a lot of time on my hair and make up. Well, it was as good as it gets. I took a deep breath and headed for the airport.

I was a bundle of nerves and excitement as I sat in my car outside of the airport terminal waiting for the call from Mike announcing his arrival. I must have jumped three feet when the phone finally rang. "Oh, my gosh. You're actually here. Where are you?"

"I'm just walking out of baggage claim. Where are you?"

"I'm outside. Walk out the door and tell me what you see."

"I see orange cones."

By this time I was nearly jumping out of my skin. "Turn left, I can see the cones from here."

I got out of my car and started walking his direction. Trying to sound calm I asked, "What are you wearing?" Just then I saw him in the distance (at least I thought it was him).

"I have on a maroon shirt."

Yep, that was him. Despite being in a skirt and heeled sandals, I started to run toward him. All pretense of calm left me as I jumped into his arms and starting kissing his face. I couldn't believe what I was doing nor could I stop myself. He laughed and wrapped his arms around me. In that incredible, unbelievable, magical moment I knew my life had changed forever.

"You're here, you're here, you're finally here," I babbled.

Then, unbelievably, my phone rang. It was a business call that I had to answer. We walked to my car as I tried to carry on a technical conversation with a brain that was buzzing across the galaxy. I ended the call as quickly as possible and turned my focus to the most handsome man I could imagine. Mike was as gorgeous ever - his smile melted me and his eyes - OMG, they were incredibly blue and sparkling. I had forgotten the power of his eyes.

For the life of me, I can't recall the conversation we had in the car on the way to my house. I only remember the feeling in my stomach, like a million butterflies. I swear I felt like I was 15 again and going on my first date.

No comments: