OneTravel.com

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Darcie's First Date

Tonight was the night! Darcie was going on her first date to the Homecoming dance. We had bought a stunning dress for her and by prior arrangement my best friend, Pam and her daughter, Amy were coming over to help with hair and make-up. The entire scene was reminiscent of the Wizard of Oz when Dorothy got her makeover. Mike took pictures of the three women buzzing around Darcie like honey bees. When all was done, my little girl was breath-taking. I had never seen her look more beautiful. I knew Brad, her date, would be knocked over and I was so excited for her. None of us were surprised when his eyes popped upon seeing her. After much picture-taking and promises of safe driving (I'm always a mom), we sent them on their way. Pam and Amy packed up their supplies and headed off as well.

Mike and I were alone at last. It was then I realized what a sight I must be. Knowing that I would cry over Darcie's big night, I had opted not to put on any make-up. I can hear you women gasping at the thought. Here I was, trying to make a good impression, and I was bare-faced. Chalk it up to the years Mike and I had known each other. Or the fact that I had never worn make-up in high school. Or that I really am crazy. But it didn't seem to matter. It's hard to describe the level of comfort I felt with Mike. I was breaking all the rules - my own as well as those that are commonly accepted.

As fate would have it, a good friend of mine who had moved away nearly a year ago, was in town for the weekend. By this time I had introduced Mike to so many people that I was hesitant to drag him out to meet yet more. But we did have to eat after all and my friends were gathering for dinner. Being the sweet, amenable guy that he is, he agreed, so we got dressed - make-up included (for me, at least), and off we went. I wondered what would happen if we ever had some real time alone. I wouldn't mind another one of those incredible kisses!

No comments: