OneTravel.com

Friday, January 5, 2007

Back in Time

This blogging process is taking a little longer than I had hoped so I am going to speed the story line a bit. I will add details in future posts if they are relevant to the present.

In light of the escalated story, it's time to take a step back for a little more background. Mike, Paul and I became pretty good friends during the school year '74-'75. Mike was crowned Homecoming King while I sat with his sister and watched and mooned (does that word still mean the same thing these days?).
Mike's sister, who was a sophomore, and I played basketball together but I never spoke of my crush on her brother. Mike and I continued to study Chemistry together and continued to have profound and heartfelt discussions. Still, he didn't ask me out and still, I just smiled and resigned myself to being his friend and confidante. Mike and Paul graduated in May of '75. Paul and I kept in touch over the summer but I didn't see Mike before he left for college.

Then in the summer of '77, I was living in an apartment off-campus and lo and behold Mike came back into my life. I stayed in Florida to go to college and I didn't live too far from our hometown. Paul and Mike would come to see me and we would go to soccer games and discos (remember those?). At the time, I was too self-conscious to enjoy dancing (although I had 13 years of ballet training) but I would have gone anywhere with Mike. The drinking age was 18 back then so we all did our share of partying. I wouldn't call it dating because we were always with a group but Mike and I got closer than I could have ever dreamed. Then he left for college and dropped out of my life once more.

No comments: