OneTravel.com

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

When Stress Creeps In

I was hit in the head this past weekend. Don't worry, I'm talking figuratively here, not literally. I was reminded of something that you wouldn't think I'd forget... Remember to have fun!

Sounds kind of silly, doesn't it? The thing is, we all experience stress in our lives. Some days, or even extended periods of time can be more stressful than others. Recently, Mike and I have been a little caught up in our own personal stresses - mostly from work and getting our kids off to college. We tend to forget how stress creeps under our skin and affects our overall personality. We were talking every day as usual but the conversations were leaving me feeling as if something were missing. I began to question the direction of our relationship and if we were still connecting to each other as we had before.

Fortunately, Friday night we had a light-hearted, conversation full of joking and laughter. It was so delightful that I thanked Mike for how much fun I had.

So what's my point? Those of us in LDRs know how important it is to stay connected with our far-away love by sharing our days, good and bad, via phone conversations. However, without the warmth of a comforting embrace to ease away the stress of the day we need to work extra hard at letting go and allowing ourselves to be joyful, especially during our precious phone time. On a regular basis, we need to make a concerted effort to lock our stress in another room and just have fun with each other!

No comments: