OneTravel.com

Friday, September 5, 2008

Those Great Big Beautiful Eyes

It's funny how little things can have a profound impact on us. Of course, thoughts of Mike are as much a part of me as my arms and legs. But once in a while, I am struck, even overwhelmed with missing him, by some seemingly insignificant trigger. Let me tell you what happened this morning.

I do a LOT of technical reading and am constantly trying to learn about and keep up with my industry. To temper this flood of geekdom, I enjoy reading fiction and more often than not, mysteries. I was indulging myself in that particular guilty pleasure this morning when I read a line that made me miss Mike so intensely my heart ached.

You'll laugh when you read the line that brought tears to my eyes. "He had a receding hairline, sad china-blue eyes heavily wrinkled at the corners and a trim grey moustache." You'd be especially puzzled if you knew Mike, who has an incredible head of beautiful blond hair (so incredible, that people remark about it all the time), the happiest, smiling eyes you'd ever want to see, no wrinkles around his eyes or otherwise, and no moustache. So what was it that had such an impact on me? Three little words... china-blue eyes!

Blue EyeWhen Mike and I are together, I spend vast amounts of time just staring into his amazing eyes. It's indescribable how I feel when I am lost in them but I can tell you that they never fail to melt my heart. So just seeing those words on the page made my own eyes misty.

It's times like that that make long-distance relationships such a challenge. Unfortunately, I won't be gazing into those china-blues for another week and 5 days. I'll have to settle for the two-dimensional version that sits in a frame at my bedside.

No comments: