OneTravel.com

Sunday, September 14, 2008

A Missing Diamond

I had something happen yesterday that I would like to describe as a personal crisis but I really need to keep it in perspective. Especially in light of all the recent disasters that have affected so many people. But I'm sure you engaged women will be able to relate to my upsetting situation.

I have an absolutely gorgeous engagement ring. One of my little "things" is that I won't take my ring off unless Mike is around to put it back on my finger. Whenever we're together, we take it in to get it cleaned. It's insured so it also gets inspected every six months - when Mike is in town. I have developed the habit of checking it myself every day (often more than once) - mostly because I love it and it gives me a moment each day to relive the day my sweet love asked me to marry him, but also to make sure it is all intact.

Well, yesterday I went out to run some errands. I was stopped at a red light and looked at my ring and about freaked out... there was a diamond missing! I couldn't believe it. I looked again more closely and sure enough, one of the smaller diamonds on the band was gone. I was sick. I immediately called Mike.

He's such a sweetie, he called the jewelry store and called me back with the news. There are 2 scenarios neither of which I'm looking forward to because I will be without my ring no matter what. But one is definitely preferable to the other. Depending on what they find out when they actually see the ring, it will be off of my finger for anywhere from 3 days to 8 weeks! My stomach hurts just writing about it. I really can't imagine going 8 weeks with a naked finger.

Anyway, I won't know until tomorrow afternoon so I'll post after I find out the verdict. Of course I'm hoping for the 3 days. I think I can handle that, and Mike will be here to put it back on my finger.

No comments: