OneTravel.com

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Live And Let Live

I had a discussion with Mike this morning. I had a hard time articulating what was swirling around in my head but I was upset and needed to get it out. Don't get me wrong, I was not upset with Mike or anything about our relationship. In fact, it's the way Mike and I relate to each other that gives me hope that people really can learn to get along. As you can see, I'm still having trouble articulating so let me try this again.

Here's the deal (and this is NOT a new bit of insight) - there are two (or more) sides to every story.

Here's the question - can people learn to listen to the other person's side without taking it personally?

Now that I think about it, I believe this is a topic for an article, so as soon as I can get my thoughts together in a more coherent manner, I'm going to write one. I'm just too clouded by emotion right now.

Meanwhile, please permit me to take a personal moment to say thanks to Mike. We have definitely found a formula that works. While we share a great many views on life, as with any relationship, there are things in which we don't agree. What we do so well, is accept the validity of each other's opinions and feelings. When we disagree on something, we don't take it personally. Kind of like the 60's slogan, "Live and let live."

No comments: