OneTravel.com

Monday, October 6, 2008

Is Cursive Dying?

This may seem like a rather odd topic for a blog on long-distance relationships but keep reading and the logic will make sense.

Yesterday, one of my friends told me she was having a discussion with some parents about education. She was shocked when these parents revealed that their children were no longer being taught to write in cursive. Granted this is second-hand information but it got me thinking. After getting over my own shock, I was saddened for two reasons.

The most obvious concern is that the ability to transmit information with paper and pen will decrease with the passing years. Not to mention, are we forgetting the little thrill we all get when there is something in our mailbox besides bills and junk mail? What will become of the gentility of a thank you note? Perhaps everyone will use print as opposed to cursive when writing by hand, but it will certainly be less elegant.

Setting aside the deteriorating ability to write, what will become of future generations' ability to read letters of historic value and interest? Will the love letters of the past, so carefully and lovingly crafted by hand, be converted into digital text to be read on a computer screen? Or worse, will they be lost forever, relegated to a forgotten storage room because few people can actually read them anyway?

One of the sweetest, most romantic things we can do for our long-distance sweetheart, is sit down and take the time to write a love letter by hand. There's something beyond definition that occurs when you write down your feelings by hand. Your entire body participates - your brain, your heart and your hand - strengthening your feelings and your bond to your faraway love. That same undefinable bond traverses the miles and fills your beloved with feelings of love and closeness when he or she reads your heartfelt words. It is such a wonderful way to stay connected despite the distance and I think it is so sad that it may slip away from us.

Now, having said all that, I have a confession. I was writing thank you notes for the gifts I received for my recent birthday and I was ashamed at how much trouble I had. Not with the expressions of gratitude, but with my ability to write legibly and without errors. I need to make an effort to write on a more regular basis. And what better way than to write to my dear Mike and let him know what he means to me. Won't you join me? Send a love letter to your sweetie today!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my best memories from summer camp as a kid were the letters that my Mom took the time to write to me. She has beautiful handwriting and would describe the most ordinary things but the fact that she took the time to sit down almost every day and write me a letter meant a lot to me and always has. It will be a shame if it becomes a lost art. Val

AC said...

Val, thanks for sharing that. I know exactly what you mean. My mother sent me a little card every day of my freshman year of college. Waaaaaaaaay back then, when there was no Internet and long-distance calling was a luxury, it meant the world to me, kept me connected to my home and family, and helped me get through that first difficult year. We should never discount the value of a hand-written letter. Ann