OneTravel.com

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Catching Up

We spent about an hour on the phone catching up on 27 years. Following college graduation, Mike's life had brought him across the country to Denver via Chicago. He was in only his second job since graduating. I immediately thought how stable and loyal that made him. His wife passed away 9 years ago and he had since been raising his 2 children all alone. He sounded like a very devoted father, replacing the executive track he had been on, with a sales position so he would have the time he needed to spend with his daughter and son.

I, on the other hand, was divorced nearly 6 years, raising my own son and daughter with all the inherent struggles of single parenthood. We immediately shared this common bond and the child-rearing conversation gave us insight into each others' values. I was delighted with everything I heard, as much of it matched so closely to my own.

Even our children were of similar age - we each had a child in college and a child in high school. We reminisced about our own high school days and it turned out he didn't even remember the chemistry class - only the time we had spent together having our heart-to-heart talks. He also didn't remember the summer we spent together when we were both in college. I just laughed it off and joked that I guessed my company hadn't been too impressive.

Then he asked me if I was serious about him coming to visit and I said of course.

He said, "I'm not very spontaneous but I really would like to come and see you again." We discussed possible dates and by the end of the conversation, he said he would look into it.

My mind was racing. I had barely dated in the 6 years since my divorce. Suddenly I was very excited at the thought that I might see Mike again after all these years.

No comments: