OneTravel.com

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

I Can't Believe You Called

After I hit Send on my reply email, I went into the kitchen to prepare dinner for my daughter and myself. Only about 10 minutes had passed when my phone rang. I answered it without checking the caller ID and was stunned to hear the voice of my old friend.

Let me pause the story to give a little background info. Mike and I had attended the same high school in Florida and although he was a year ahead of me - I was a junior and he, a senior - we met in Chemistry class. Since both of us were conscientious students we agreed to study together. He would come to my house and we would study in the living room, taking occasional breaks to have heart-to-heart chats. I had a boyfriend at another high school and Mike had a girlfriend who was in college. Mike was the traditional BMOC - gorgeous, smart, star athlete. And talk about chemistry! Of course I had a huge crush on him, despite my having a boyfriend, but it was the 70's and "good girls" didn't initiate anything in those days, so all I could do was smile and try to be charming. I assumed I didn't stand a chance anyway, so I settled for a good, solid friendship (all the while, smiling and being charming - it couldn't hurt, could it?). Meanwhile, Mike's best friend Paul was dating one of my close friends so Paul and I became fast friends as well.

At the risk of causing whiplash from traveling so quickly through time, I am switching back from 1974 to 2005. Yes, eventually I will catch up to the actual present but I am new to this blog thing and figured a general timeline, albeit disjointed, would be helpful.

October 2005 - A smile immediately spread across my face as I recognized Mike's deep, sexy voice. Even after all these years, it was unmistakable. I was bubbling with excitement. "Oh, my gosh. It's so great to hear from you. How long's it been - like 27 years or something? I can't believe you actually called me."

No comments: