OneTravel.com

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Separations

Another summer has slipped by and as always, I hate to see it nearing an end. Summer has always been my favorite time of year. Yes, I know it's hot, but when my kids were in school, it was the only time of year that we could relax and spend truly leisure time together. There were no uniforms to wash, no homework to get done, no scheduled activities like basketball games, scouts, band practice. Don't get me wrong, I loved all the activities my kids participated in, but I also enjoyed the downtime of summer.

And now, the end of summer marks an even more profound time as my daughter prepares to return to New York for her junior year of college. I have so enjoyed our time together and I will miss her terribly. You'd think by now, I would be used to the separations from those I love so dearly. And although it is a tiny bit easier than it used to be, the sadness envelopes me nonetheless.

One consolation, Mike will be coming to visit on August 26th. He's staying nearly a week this time so I will wrap myself in his arms for comfort. Then, alone again.

At least the next 2 months will be incredibly busy as my chorus prepares for International competition in Nashville in October. Mike will be there too. It's so amazing to have a supportive partner.

I know many of you are in the process of sending your kids off to school, some for the first time, be it first grade or freshman year of college. Some of you are becoming empty nesters. As someone who has been doing this long-distance thing as both a parent and a partner, take my advice, stay busy and surround yourself with friends. And start counting the days until Thanksgiving!

No comments: