OneTravel.com

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Speed Bumps And Pitfalls

I know it's been a LONG time since I've posted. Like so many people, the economy has reached deeply into my life and I have had to spend the majority of my time figuring out how to survive.

Besides, I find myself in the difficult position that so many writers share. The most poignant things I want to write about are also the most personal and involve others than me alone. I once read a book about the greatest challenge to writers being the fear of offending their loved ones. I have to admit, that fear is my greatest obstacle. And when you throw in the ubiquitous and eternal nature of the Internet, my trepidation increases exponentially. However, I also have a strong desire to help my fellow travelers navigate the journey of a long-distance relationship. So I will continue to search for a happy compromise.

That said, here's an update on my LDR front. Mike and I just celebrated 40 months together! We've recently had some major speed bumps but I'm happy to say, our chasis stayed intact. We have both been faced with some of life's biggest stressors. I know we're not alone or unique but that knowledge doesn't lighten the load.

I could go into all the issues of late but I'll stick to just one for this post. As I've written before, Mike's son is in his freshman year of college out of state. His daughter, who is a senior in college, moved out of the house in January. She even took the cats (good news for my allergies). Now Mike finds himself in a true empty nest - at least until summer. It's been a period of transition and learning for him. We talk on the phone - he's alone in his house, I'm alone in my mine - and we wonder why the heck we're not together. Of course, we both know the answers as they have not changed, but still, it seems unfair. I know he would like nothing better than for me to pack up and move to Denver. I, of course, wish he would pack up and move to Dallas. As the months, and yes, years of our LDR go by, the time for a decision is fast approaching. Neither one of us wants to continue apart indefinitely.

The thing I want to share with all of you is how wonderful Mike has been by not pressuring me. Neither have I pressured him. This is not just a potential pitfall but could turn into a relationship killer if you're not careful. It's easy to say, "If you loved me you'd..." but when it comes to turning one's life upside down, nothing is easy. Try to remember that it is not a reflection of the depth of love and committment. Be understanding and patient and your relationship will remain strong.

4 comments:

lili said...

Dear AC,I am Iranian girl who I red your sweet writings about 10 months. My boyfriend has lived in US for 2 years.We are in a long distance relationship.I just want to say thank you very much for sharing your writings, thoughts and emotions here. You have no idea how much I become relax when I read your beautiful blog.Wish you and your Mike all the best with my whole heart.(Sorry if my English is not perfect)

lili said...

This is a gift for you from my photoblog:
http://www.photoblog.com/lobatrezakhani/2008/11/25/bluewhitered.html

AC said...

Lili,

Thank you so much for your kind words. It's nice to know that someone is helped by what I write. I hope you and your love will be together soon.

And your English is wonderful.

lili said...

Thanks a bunch:)