OneTravel.com

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Left Behind

The holidays, family issues, and illness have taken their toll on me to start the new year so I haven't had a chance to write lately.

For the past three years, I have accompanied Mike to his annual sales meeting at various locations in the U.S. We've been to Hilton Head, Austin, and Orlando. We've always extended the stay over the weekend to enjoy a little getaway. Unfortunately, this past year his company was sold and the new ownership does not permit spouses or significant others to be part of the event. I don't know if this has always been their policy or if it's a sign of the troubled economic times, but it's sad either way. There is an awards dinner at the end of the 3-day event to honor those who have performed to a higher standard and Mike has consistently been a top performer. It's so much more meaningful to have our loved ones share in those moments and it has always been the highlight of the week. This year, there will be no family or friends to cheer the winners... just co-workers.

All of this is to say, Mike is away right now and I'm not with him. They even extended the event an extra day so this year, with travel, he'll be occupied for 5 days. He's incredibly busy and has to share a room with a co-worker so our talk time is VERY limited - maybe 10 minutes a day. Since we normally talk during Mike's commute (one hour each way), I'm definitely suffering from withdrawal.

It may seem odd to talk about Mike being away when in truth, he's always "away". But somehow, this is different. At least when he's in Denver, I can picture him in his car, his home, his office. I've been to all those places so I feel a part of them. But now he's somewhere I can't visualize and it makes him seem a little farther away.

I've decided to spend the extra time working and trying to catch up after the holidays. Writing about Mike keeps him in my mind and helps me stay connected. I'll sure be glad when he gets back home.

No comments: